4.23.2013

Vaccination Rant

As usual, I've decided that people are dumb. What's so infuriating is that they don't have to be so dumb. They let idiots sway their decisions. Fucking sheep.
At least this sheep is cute.

Sorry. I'm currently enraged about the hype around not vaccinating your children. 
There are several things that make this unfathomable to me. 

1. I don't know about you but I don't want my kid to get:
    • smallpox
    • measles
    • mumps
    • rubella
    • fucking polio.
    • others
2. The rest of us like herd immunity. This happens when the majority of a group receives a vaccination. Then, if a horrible virus/bacteria spurs up, it will not run amok because of a lack of susceptible hosts. 

3. If you are worried about Autism and its possible link... Why? Where are you getting your information? Is it a credible source? 

I'm going to pause here. Please take a moment to read this: http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/index.html

Wakefield was stripped of his license. He was accused of intentionally skewing results because of an employer. He selected cases that would benefit his agenda. He used no control. Here's a wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield Seriously, Google him. Plug his name into JSTOR. This man's actions are still imprinted in people's minds. 

If you have concerns with the preservatives in vaccines, opt to break up the shots. Sure, it's more shots but the doses are greatly reduced. Whatever your reasons, I strongly believe that vaccines should be required for children. As an adult, feel free to screw yourself up. You then have a reasonably strong immune system. 

I'm so tired of semi-celebrities waving their flags for causes that they haven't researched. If autism has affected your family, I'm truly sorry, but quit pointing fingers. Vaccines save lives. That's all there is to it.

Even Autism Speaks does not recognize this as information. Please see: http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/policy-statements/information-about-vaccines-and-autism


Whatever your decision, for the love of [insert spiritual religious/whatever figure here], please please please please research it for yourself. The internet and the *gasp* library are resources to be used to educate yourself. Be wary of your sources. Don't believe what you see a "celebrity" just because of their star power. Make sure that they can back their shit up. Educate yourself.



Fun Fact: Did you know that the smallpox virus has been 100% erradicated because of the smallpox vaccine?

2 comments:

  1. You clearly have not done your own research Amy.

    As a parent of a child that was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, negatively effected by getting a vaccine, to the point of a trip to the hospital, I can tell you first hand there is a link.

    Your post is rather insensitive to people who are actually suffering through the negative effects that a vaccine can cause, let alone the 40+ shots your child is asked to get before entering kindergarden.

    You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you probably need to take the time to read about both sides of the issue in order to get a full understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thank you for reading. Please allow me to reply.

    I'm not sure why you believe that I haven't done my own research. As a biology student and, probably more importantly, a mother, I have spent many hours on the subject matter. I have read many scholarly articles and personal accounts. Do I claim to be an expert? No. I haven't personally ran any studies... yet. Though, I wish that John Q. Public would stop believing everything that celebrities say. They aren't experts, either.

    I am very sorry to hear about your child's interaction(s). You did not describe the problems, nor would I ask that you share your private information, so I'm at a disadvantage in my retort.

    I have found that allergic reactions and the minute amount of people who suffer DIRECTLY because of vaccines are minimal. I have friends who are unable to take the vaccines because of such reactions. For instance, one has a severe allergy to eggs and thus is unable to take vaccines. This is another reason that the movements against vaccination is such a problem. My friend relies on "herd immunity" to stay safe... As is the case for children in school. I personally feel, in most circumstances, that it is irresponsible to not vaccinate. We must protect our children and ourselves. I'd rather risk allergic reactions than have polio and smallpox be an issue. So, regarding those 40+ shots, I'm absolutely for that criteria. In most situations, a lack of vaccinations is a choice. In making those choices, you also choose to not put your child into public school. This is unfortunate for children that do not have a choice, for whatever reason, but it's really for the greater good.

    I do not aim to be "insensitive" or offend. I definitely blogged in anger originally but I stand by my statements. I am very sorry that your child has suffered but frankly, I'll do what I think is right for my child. If that's advocating, loudly and proudly, for vaccines, I'll do it. Also, this is my blog, my voice. I'll use it as I see fit.

    Again, thank you for reading and your thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete